Answer even half of these questions correctly and you’ll deserve a green jacket (ANSWERS AT BOTTOM OF PAGE)
1. Before Gary Player became the first international player to win the Masters in 1961, which international-born player had the best finish?
2. Who was the youngest honorary starter?
3. Who are the only three players to be involved in more than one playoff?
4. Which came first—victory with a metal driver, victory with a non-Augusta caddie, victory on bentgrass greens, or victory by a European player?
5. What club did Jack Nicklaus and Seve Ballesteros both use on their second shots on the par-five 15th hole in the final round in 1986, Nicklaus’s shot setting up an eagle and Ballesteros’s plunging into the water to doom his bid?
6. A location on the course displays a progression of course records and the names and scores of Masters winners. Where is it?
a) next to a magnolia tree; b) in an azalea garden; c) at the main scoreboard; d) on the base of a water fountain
7. Gary Player holds the record for the most Masters appearances with 52. Who has the record for the most consecutive appearances, and how many?
8. Who was the first player to shoot 29 on the back nine?
9. Who holds the record for the most under par on the back nine over four rounds?
10. What does a player receive for shooting the day’s low score?
a) crystal vase; b) silver medal; c) $5,000; d) nothing
11. What player won the Masters with a 30 on the back nine of the final round in one year and a 40 on the back nine in another year?
12. Name either of the two players who have won the Masters with a final nine of 40?
13. Name either of the two players who shot 64 in their first-ever Masters round.
14. Who is the only senior (50 and over) to shoot a 30 on the back nine?
15. Who are the youngest and oldest players to make the cut?
16. Who holds the record for most birdies in a round, and how many?
17. Who is the only player to make two eagles on the same par-four hole in the same year?
18. The ringer 18-hole score adding up the best score ever made on each hole in the Masters is 32. What is the 18-hole score adding up the worst score ever made on each hole in the Masters?
a) 140; b) 154; c) 169; d) 178
19. Tiger Woods shares the record for most consecutive birdies with seven. Who is the other player?
20. Name one of the two players who lost in playoffs the year after winning.
21. Who is the only player to make three eagles in one round?
22. Which bridge is the oldest—Hogan, Nelson, or Sarazen?
23. Who is the only player to finish in the top 10 before the age of 21?
24. Name either of the two players who share the record for most consecutive cuts made in Masters appearances.
25. The only players to win the Masters on their first try were Horton Smith (1934), Gene Sarazen (1935), and Fuzzy Zoeller (1979). Five players have won on their second try. Name three.
26. Who was the last Masters winner not to break 70 in any round?
27. Name one of the two players who had rounds of 77 on the way to victory.
28. Who has held or shared the Masters lead the most times through 18, 36, or 54 holes without ever winning the tournament?
29. Five players share the record for playing the par fives in the most under par for the tournament (15-under). Two players share the record for playing the par fives in the most under par for a single round (6-under). Which player has done both?
30. Before Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama became the first player from Asia to win the Masters in 2021, what was the best finish by an Asian player and who did it?
31. Who is the only player to win the Masters while playing the par fives over par for the week?
32. Which two-time champion missed the cut in both years after his victories?
33. Who was the only champion unable to defend his title in the following Masters?
34. Which pair of brothers played in the same Masters the most times?
35. Since 1972, there have been three instances when a player finished second one year and won the next year. Name two.
36. What did Adam Scott shout when he holed a putt on the 72nd hole to take a one-stroke lead in 2013? (Angel Cabrera later tied him before Scott won the playoff.)
37. Which future champion was paired with Jack Nicklaus when Nicklaus won in 1975?
38. Who is the only player to make a hole-in-one on the 4th hole?
39. Who was the oldest runner-up?
40. What champion holed out from of the green on two of the first three holes in the final round?
41. Match the caddie with the player he caddied for:
a) Stovepipe; b) Cricket; c) Iron Man; d) Pappy
- Charles Coody
- Ben Hogan
- Gene Sarazen
- Arnold Palmer
42. Phil Mickelson made back-to-back eagles on 13 and 14 in the third round en route to a victory in 2010. Who made back-to-back eagles on the same two holes in the third round en route to a runner-up finish in a different year?
43. Who putted from the green into a water hazard on the 13th hole in the first round but went on to win?
44. Which hole is closest to the clubhouse—Magnolia, Camellia, Golden Bell, or Flowering Peach?
45. Masters co-founder Clifford Roberts was born in what state?
46. Which former champion suggested the tradition of an annual champions’ dinner on Tuesday of tournament week?
47. How many trips did Dwight Eisenhower make to Augusta National during his presidency?
a) 18; b) 29; c) 46; d) 102
48. What is the only hole at Augusta National where no player has ever made worse than a triple bogey in the Masters?
49. What is the only par-four or par-five hole that has not been lengthened since the tournament began in 1934?
50. Who was the last player to win the Masters after winning the previous week on the PGA Tour?
- Harry Cooper, England, 2nd in 1936
- Ken Venturi, age 51 in 1983 when he was a fill-in for Byron Nelson in a one-year stint
- Ben Hogan, lost in 1942 and 1954; Nick Faldo, won in 1989 and 1990; Angel Cabrera, won in 2009 and lost in 2013
- European victory (1980), bentgrass greens (1981), non-Augusta caddie (1983), metal driver (1994)
- Arnold Palmer, 50 (1955–2004)
- Mark Calcavecchia, 1992, fourth round
- Tiger Woods, 1997, 16 under (30–32–33–33)
- Gary Player, 30 in 1978, 40 in 1961
- Gary Player, 1961; Craig Stadler, 1982
- Lloyd Mangrum, 1940; Mike Donald, 1990
- Ben Hogan, 1967, third round
- Tianlang Guan, age 14, 2013; Bernhard Langer, age 63, 2021
- Anthony Kim, 11, 2009, second round
- Jack Nicklaus, 1995, No. 5, first and third rounds
- Steve Pate, 1999, third round, starting with No. 7 (Woods did it in 2005, also in the third round starting with No. 7)
- Ben Hogan, 1954; Gary Player, 1962
- Dustin Johnson, 2015, Nos. 2, 8, 15, second round
- Sarazen Bridge, dedicated 1955; Hogan and Nelson bridges, dedicated 1958
- Jordan Spieth, 2014, T2
- Gary Player (1959–82) and Fred Couples (1983– 2007), 23
- Jimmy Demaret (1940), Herman Keiser (1946), Charl Schwartzel (2011), Jordan Spieth (2015), Danny Willett (2016)
- Larry Mize, 1987 (70–72–72–71)
- Sam Snead, 1952, third round; Nick Faldo, 1989, third round
- Justin Rose, seven times
- Ernie Els, in 2004 for a single round and 2013 for the tournament. The others sharing the tournament record of 15-under are Greg Norman (1995), Tiger Woods (2010), Phil Mickelson (2015), and Marc Leishman (2020). The other player with 6-under in a single round is Steve Jones (1990).
- Sungjae Im, South Korea, T2, 2020
- Craig Stadler, 1 over, 1982
- Seve Ballesteros, missed the cut in 1981 and 1984
- Art Wall won in 1959, missed the tournament with a knee injury in 1960
- Lionel and Jay Hebert, 12 times (1956, 1958–68)
- Ben Crenshaw, T2 in 1983 and won in 1984; Jordan Spieth finished T2 in 2014 before winning in 2015; and Dustin Johnson was T2 in 2019 before winning in 2020
- “C’mon, Aussie!”
- Tom Watson
- Jeff Sluman, 1992
- Raymond Floyd, 1992, age 49
- Charl Schwartzel, pitch-in for a birdie on No. 1, hole-out for an eagle on No. 3 in 2011. He ended up with birdies on the last four holes to win by two.
- Stovepipe/Sarazen, Cricket/Coody, Iron Man/Palmer, Pappy/Hogan
- Dan Pohl, 1982
- Tiger Woods, 2005
- Camellia (No. 10)
- Ben Hogan
- No. 17
- No. 3 (Two par threes, Nos. 6 and 12, have not been lengthened)
- Phil Mickelson, 2006